6/29/09

NYC Zine Fest 09 + Effort!

Howdy,

I felt like switching to Blogger. Let's see who wins!

I also wanted to do something that I almost never, ever do: I wanted to talk more about the ridiculously awesome swag (bought and traded) that I got from the NYC Zine Fest this weekend. I'm that inspired! Out of my own selfishness, I assumed the fest would mostly be comic-related stuff, but there was a ton of great literary work, and even photography. Rock on! My brain needs to be expanded!

(I am also eating half of a slightly-dry pita as I type this.)


Look at it all! I think Chris and I did a pretty swell job.

I can't give decent reviews because I've barely read any of it yet, but I'll do what I can. Here's a list, in no particular order:

-If you're wondering about the t-shirt, it features a guy getting torn up by dinosaurs and he's screaming "JERSEY SUCKS." Chris, who lived in NJ for many years, thought it was fitting and bought it for himself. I would have been all over that too, if it came in my size.

- Veena Sahasrabuddhe-One Thousand Minds. It's a CD at a zine fest! Actually, it's beautifully packaged and I love myself some good Indian music.

-Always Comix edited by Sarah Louise and Erin Colby. The book came with three fantastic silkscreen cards, named "Carlo," "Dingus," and "Tits." They're so going up on my wall.

-Always Already and The La-La Theory by Katie Haegele. She sat next to me and I can't wait to read these.

-Nuns I've Known by Prunella Vulgaris. This was available on Katie's table. I read this while I was at the fest and I seriously had no idea nuns could be quite so crazy. Growing up an Orthodox Christian, I never had to deal with them, so hey!

-In the World by A Wrecked Tangle Press. Their table was awesome. They had eggs that they drained and put pieces of poetry in them. They had an old cigarette machine that spewed out rolled up pieces of poetry. And they had this beautiful little mixed media book. The pages are all mismatched, it's got a great cover, there's a little medallion attached to it, and I totally fell in love with the thing.
Also, according to the reciept they gave me, I have book #1 out of 16! Woo?!

-Strange Lights by Jean Valentine. By far, my most expensive purchase, but it's so great, I can't even describe. I bought it from the Center for Book Arts table, and it's making me realize how much old letterpress and bookbinding techniques are really appealing to me.

-Who Was Nurdt Nobrain? by Rebecca Migdal.

-Displaced New Yorkers by Amy Burchenal. A zine photo collages. It made me LOL.

-A silkscreen table I unfortunately can't remember the name of. They had this heart-stopping box full of silkscreens for sale which turned out to be way out of my league financially, so I resorted to buying a bundle of silkscreened postcards/stickers for five bucks.

-Mobile by Gia-Bao Tran. Cute accordion comic.

-Free Danger, no mention of who the editor is.

-We'll Never Have Paris, edited by Andria Alefhi. She wrote "This is not french toast" in my copy.

-Nurse Nurse by Katie Skelly. I've been seeing this around (I think mostly at MoCCAfest) and I'm glad we have a copy to read now.

-Menstruation Station by Jen Vaughn. I read this while at my table, and I do have to say that my lightweight self did feel a tad menstrual-crampy while reading.

-I Love Bad Movies and Oh My (A Collection of E-Mails) edited by Kseniya Yarosh. She was also sitting next to me, and she was awesome. Chris read through the bad movies zine and totally related on a philosphical level. I just love really awkward emails, so I'm psyched.

-Alligator Day! and Product of Flamingo Island by Hanni Brosh.

-Recommended Reading by unknown editor.

-Hey, Four-Eyes! edited by Robyn Chapman. This anthology completes my eyeglass fetish!

-A Nation of Immigrants, A Nation of Conquerers and Am I Mad or Has the World Gone Crazy? from Hottt off the Press.

-FORT90 Summer Carnival 09 by Matthew Hawkins. Terry Bogard is on the cover. Also, the first page is a screenshot from Earthbound with the dialogue box open, and it reads "No problem here." I'm sure I'm going to love this.

And PS!

The official Zine Fest booklet has my junk in it! YEAH!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm happy you've moved to blogspot. Keep posting your stuff!

    A fan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot!
    ... I'm following your blog now, it looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete